Giving birth to a child is hard! It takes a toll not just on your body, but also on your mind. You are a changed person once you get a baby in your life. Taking care of a baby is a huge responsibility. You might feel exhausted. Let’s say you were working full time before you had a baby and now you decided to take maternity leave.
The duration of your maternity leave depends on where you reside. Let’s say you are exhausted and need a change what are you going to do? Have you considered how to use blogging as a stream of income during maternity leave? Let’s find out.
Note: It’s important that you know what’s legally allowed in your country or state. Before earning during maternity leave, you should know information about the money earned during maternity leave. It’s your responsibility to see what earnings are possible during maternity leave.
Blogging When You Need A Change In Your Life
You could be thinking about how to use blogging as a stream of income during maternity leave. There could be tons of things on your mind. It’s important that you explore blogging and see if it can help you shift from a full-time job to a professional blogger.
Once you start your job, you would be a working mom so there might not be any time to explore your options. You can start blogging as a hobby first. You don’t necessarily have to start earning right away, but you can get an idea of how much you can possibly earn.
Blogging can be fun. It can be beneficial for you. Consider the following:
- Blogging can help you explore your love for writing.
- You can earn through your blogs.
- You can write for other blogs and businesses.
- You can even get paid for blog writing.
- You have to learn how to create good blog posts.
You are living in an era of modernization and information technology. You are trying to keep pace with the fast-changing world. It’s important that you know what options are available to you.
During your maternity leave, you are taking care of your child. But you remember the time when you loved to write. It’s possible that looking at the success stories of different bloggers and writers, you might pause for a while and ask yourself how to use blogging as a stream of income.
Skills You Need to Be A Blog Writer
Before you start blogging, make sure you have the following skills:
Proficient And Persuasive Writing
Not everyone has the patience to be a writer. You should know whether you can write for an audience. Your writing has to be responsible. You can write straight from the heart, but a reader should be able to comprehend what you are trying to say.
Good communication is important when you write. You have to be a persuasive writer who understands the mind of the reader.
Good Research Skills
You need to have good research skills when you want to consider blogging in your career. If you have good research skills then it would be easy for you to find relevant and reliable information about your blogs.
If businesses are hiring you to write for them then they would expect the right information from you. You should know how to find this information.
When you are writing for a larger audience, there should be no grammar or spelling mistakes. You don’t want to write anything that conveys the wrong message to the reader.
In fact, it can be dangerous in some cases. Thus, it’s important that you have excellent grammar. You can hire an editor to proofread your work if you are not sure of your grammar. If your grammar is good then it would be easy for you to get the clients.
When you consider being a blogger or a copywriter or any other business, you should have the people skills. You should be good at dealing with people.
If you have good people skills, it would be great for yourself and your business. You would know how to negotiate and how to deal with people the right way. You can also learn people skills.
In fact, there are courses available that can teach you how to communicate effectively. You need to know how to manage and negotiate with people. It can even help you to deal with people in your life.
Portfolio And Samples
People would be ready to hire you if you have the portfolio and samples to showcase your writing style. Think about it, if you want to work for a certain brand why would they hire you instead of anyone else. You would be able to prove through your work that you are able to write for them.
Making a sample would be easy. You can write a relevant article for the business you plan on writing for! Just show the potential client what you are capable of and you would be good to go.
Basically, your portfolio represents your writing style. It shows how you would be writing for potential clients. So if people like the way you write, they would be willing to hire you for the blogs.
Everything in life takes time. For some people, it’s easy to get the desired results within a short span of time. While for others, it’s a long journey. Each individual is different so you have to see what works for you.
Good things take time, but when you are working hard for them then you can expect good results.
Blogging can be fun for you, but it also requires your time and commitment. With a baby, you can give limited time to your work. You can start it as a hobby and when things appear bright, you can consider it as a business. You can become a freelance blogger and you can start working from home.
It would be even possible for you to leave your full-time job and become a professional blogger. You can make a professional website and start working later.
However, you can take advantage of this time to learn to blog and try your hands on it. Once you start blogging as a professional, you can even consider affiliate marketing and a variety of other things for your blog.
Tips to Keep In Mind When You Start Blogging
Now that you have made your mind and have decided to give blogging a chance, it would be important for you to take good care of your health.
Keep the following tips in mind:
- Babies can keep you awake at night. You can be sleep-deprived. You need to sleep as much as you can. You have to take a rest as it’s important for your body.
- If there are symptoms of postpartum depression then you should discuss them with your doctor right away.
- It’s a beautiful time and you are trying to create a bond with your baby. You would be worried about money, but your health is more important to focus on your health first.
- Try blogging when you have help available and you have the time to do it! It’s possible that blogging is something you enjoy so it’s important not to worry yourself while trying your hands on blogging.
- You have to maintain patience. It’s possible that you might not get the clients right away. You can try different platforms, but it can be challenging with the baby so bear that in mind.
- You can take advantage of your spare time especially if you have a learning attitude.
- You can learn to blog and try it first as a hobby. If you start making money and feel good at it then you consider it as a full-time business.
How to Earn from Blogging
You might be thinking about how to earn from blogging! It can be tricky if you are a beginner and especially during your maternity leave.
It’s important for you to keep in mind that you are a mom so you have to focus on your newborn. But you can also share your experience as a mom.
- You can start a blog, but it can be overwhelming. You can also write for others in exchange for a payment.
- Make a portfolio and showcase your writing sample. You don’t need a special degree, but you should be good at writing. Plus your grammar should be excellent.
- People hire you because of your ability to write well. You know how to capture the attention of the readers so that they can keep on reading.
- You can apply to different businesses. There are job boards, websites, Facebook groups, and a lot more. You can also use LinkedIn for finding potential clients. You can simply tell the world that you are available to write for them. You can tell the price you are charging.
- You have to hustle, but you would be able to land a gig. It’s possible that you might even get a reliable client who would be paying you more than your full-time job. It all depends on how good your skills are!
What Else You Can Try to Feel More Like Yourself
It’s hard to feel like yourself again once you have the kids. The priorities in your life change. You adjust your schedule as per your kids’ timings. Plus, if you have a toddler or a school-going kid then it can be even harder. Amidst all this, you might find it hard to feel like yourself again.
Spend 30 minutes every day on yourself. This time just belongs to you! If you are able to grab more hours of the day, it’s better. Do something just for yourself. It’s not for the spouse or kids.
Consider the following:
- Start writing! If you were a good writer during your college days maybe you can explore writing once again.
- Enjoy a cup of coffee or maybe hot chocolate. Read your favorite book. You just need to connect with your old self every day. Don’t let go of the person you were before the birth of your children.
- Pamper yourself. Maybe apply a face mask or do some exercise. Do what makes you feel better.
- Ask for help! If there is someone who can take care of the babies so that you can sleep peacefully then don’t hesitate to ask for help.
- Don’t feel guilty! You are trying your best. It’s how motherhood is, bittersweet. You just have to go with the flow. Make sure you try your best and if it feels tough don’t be ashamed to ask for help.
- Find your tribe. It’s good to share your experience with other moms. What you are feeling is experienced by many other moms like you. When you know that there are other people just like you, it would be a good feeling.
- Spend time with your kids, but enjoy it! You can learn parenting with time. It doesn’t come with instructions so don’t worry about it.
You may like the following business articles:
- How much do startups spend on marketing
- 10 Profitable Home-Based Internet Businesses Ideas for You to Try
- Top 10 Automobile Business Ideas
- 33 Top Tech Business Ideas in USA with Low Investment Capital
- 25 Great Business Ideas For Couples
Wrapping It Up
You could be thinking about how to use blogging as a stream of income during maternity leave and there could be tons of things on your mind. You should have the skills that are important to work as a blogger.
You can start your own blog, but it would be better to work for others and get the feel. You can write for other businesses. You can select your niche and offer the articles. You can expand your skills later.
It’s important for you to keep in mind that you are on maternity leave so you have to enjoy your time with your baby. If blogging is something that you enjoy then you can start it as a hobby. It’s possible that it can replace your full-time job.
Bijay is an entrepreneur and start-up founder having more than 14 years of IT industry experience. He is the co-founder of TSInfo Technologies, a SharePoint development company.
A dedicated professional and very passionate about public speaking and also wrote thousands of technical blogs in various technologies. He also wrote a lots of blogs on entrepreneurship, investment, startup, business, manage money tips, etc.