You could be great at organizing a variety of items at your house. It’s possible that you get compliments on your organizing style. Maybe you get the idea of starting an organizing business. It’s possible that you could be thinking about how to start an organizing business. If so you are in the right place.
How to start an organizing business? Start with a business plan, it’s not a compulsion but it would be better in the long run. Make sure you register your business and find a suitable name for your business. Also, do a thorough research of the industry before diving in. Make a website and brand yourself.
Let’s find out more about how to start an organizing business.
Who Needs The Services of An Organizing Business?
It’s possible that you might come across people who would ask you about your business. You might find yourself in doubt if you have not researched thoroughly about your industry.
People who are busy and don’t have time to organize would need the services of your business. It’s also possible that somebody finds it really hard to organize items in the house and thus, would hire help!
It’s important to be aware of your business goals. If you are doing it as a part-time business then you have to make the business plan accordingly. If it’s your full-time business then you have to market the services as per your requirements.
Simple Steps to Start An Organizing Business
In order to start an organizing business, consider the steps below. It’s important for you to keep in mind that you are the boss and the final decision-maker.
You have the final say so you can decide what works best for you. It’s better to ask a business consultant to help you with the details.
Step 1: Do A Thorough Research
When you are starting an organizing business or any other, you have to do thorough research. Without appropriate research, it would be hard for you to decide if you are selecting the right industry. You have to read the books and find information on the blogs.
For example, when it comes to the organizing business you have to gather information about the success of this industry. Check out the scope of the industry. Keep an eye on what your competitors are doing and how they are expanding the business.
You have to try to establish a competitive edge in the industry. You have to be a smart business person if you want to excel in this business. You have to find what makes your business unique and different from the others.
Step 2: Make A Business Plan
It’s not a compulsory step, but it can save you from hassle. When you make a business plan for your business, you would know what to expect every step of the way. You can go back to the business plan and see what you had thought for your business and how the business is performing in reality.
The business plan for your organizing business can include the projected financial statements. Thus, it can give you an idea of what to expect from your business. You can also see what’s the startup cost of the business would be! Plus, a business plan can also help you decide about the business structure of your business.
For example, you can decide if you want to be a sole proprietor, partnership, Limited Liability, or Corporation. You have to find information relevant to the tax as each type of business structure is different.
Step 3: Register Your Business
Once you have decided to move forward, it’s time to register your business. You have to see what state of USA you belong to!
For example, you could be in Texas, Florida, Georgia, or any other state. It’s important that you find the relevant rules and regulations of your state with respect to registering the business.
You can ask a business consultant to guide you or there could be free business resources available in your area. You can take advantage of the free business resources.
Before registering your business, it’s important that you have information about the demographics. It’s better if you compare the state laws. Find out information on the tax regulations so that you would know what to expect.
Step 4: Get The Required Licenses
If you want to avoid hefty plenty, it’s wise to get the required business licenses. Some people might not even know that they need a certain license to operate in their state. You have to find this information as per your state.
It’s better to get the business license from the beginning as you don’t want to face any hassle later on. Check out with your city and state to see what type of business license you would need for the organizing business.
You could be in Los Angeles, Chicago, Texas, or maybe any other city in your country. You have to see what licenses are important. Plus, you can also ask a business consultant to help you if you are not sure.
Step 5: Make An Official Website
Some business owners might not make an official website, but it’s important for the success and growth of the business. Your official website is a representation of what you are doing! It shows that you are professional and that you care about your business.
Many business owners especially those who are working from home would rely on social media alone, but making an official website can make a huge difference. It’s easy to make an official website in the era of modernization and information technology.
Step 6: Promote Business On Social Media
After you have successfully established your business, it’s time to promote it on social media. Social media can play a vital role in the growth of your business.
You can select the social media platform that works best for your business. Maintaining an online presence is important in the age of information technology.
Nowadays, it’s easy to connect with your audience online. You can go live on Facebook or Instagram and talk to your audience. You are trying to connect with your audience on an emotional level.
Your audience can become your potential customer. In fact, that’s the goal when you are trying to connect.
Step 7: Focus On Getting Positive Reviews
Once you start a business, it’s time to focus on the positive reviews. Nowadays, you might have noticed that when you decide to get a certain service, you do a quick search online.
Getting positive reviews is possible by providing good customer service. If you focus on providing value to your customers, you can expect positive feedback.
The search results give you an idea of what companies or businesses are good at their performance. In fact, it would be a good idea to gather the client testimonials.
You can display the client testimonials on the official website of your business. It would be great for the credibility of your business. Plus, your clients would know what to expect from you.
When you get good feedback and positive reviews from the clients, it can help in the success and growth of your business. You can expect more people to work with you in the future.
When you are trying to find a plumber for the business, you would opt for the one that the best reviews available online. It’s hard to work with someone who has negative feedback.
Tips to Keep In Mind When Starting An Organizing Business
Starting an organizing business is not everyone’s cup of tea. There are various things to keep in mind when you are considering this business as your bread and butter.
Consider the following:
- Make sure you keep your business account separate from your private account in the bank. It’s not ideal to mix up your private information with the business. It’s always better to keep the business separate from private information.
- Hire a business consultant if you are not sure of how to operate or expand your business. It’s better to have someone guide you when it’s hard to handle the business on your own. It’s overwhelming to work on the business especially when you are a beginner. When someone is there to guide you along the way, you would know what exactly you can do next!
- Ask your friends and family members to support your business. You can spread the word that you are open and available for hire as soon as you launch your business. If it’s needed then you can even offer to work for free. Make sure you collect the client testimonials along the way as the testimonials can help you with the business.
- Focus on the pricing and service. You can take the help with your business plan. You can see what prices and services work better for your business.
- Find information on all the legal and financial aspects of the business. In the beginning, it might be hard for you to set a price for the services. You can check out what prices and services are offered by the competitors.
- Find information on the tax requirements of your state. It’s important that you are aware of such requirements for your business.
- You can work for friends and build your portfolio. It’s important to differentiate yourself from your competitors. You have to define what makes you unique and different from others in the same industry.
- In order to learn more about the organizing business, you can take courses online. You can learn in detail about this business. In fact, it would be a good idea to read the books and blogs on this business. It can help you learn more about the industry. You can also check out NAPO (National Association of Productivity & Organizing Professionals) for more information.
- Before starting the business and committing yourself, you should know how much time you would be able to set aside for your business. You also need to decide your budget.
- Whether starting an organizing business or any other, it’s important to establish yourself as a brand. You have to earn the trust of your customers as it can help you land more clients in the future.
- Find information related to the business structure. You have to see what’s the most viable option for you. Based on that you have to get the Tax ID or EIN (Employee Insurance Number). You have to see as per your state.
- Network with other business organizers and see what they have to say. Try to find a coach in your industry who can help you with the business.
- Later when you are successful with the business, it would be possible for you to develop your own courses. In fact, you can become a coach of your industry.
- It’s important that you focus on the official website of your company. It’s possible to work without a website, but with the help of a website you have credibility. Your client wants to work with someone who is authentic and has an online presence. Just like any other business, your online presence counts too.
You may like the following business articles:
- How do Equity Investors Get Paid?
- 19 Work-life balance tips for women entrepreneurs
- Investing in a Friend’s Business
- Do you Want to Invest in a Business?
- what to offer investors small businesses?
Wrapping It Up
Now that you know how to start an organizing business, you should start working on it. It’s good to start with a business plan. A business plan can give you a fair idea of how to start an organizing business and it can even serve as a booklet for your business.
Find a suitable name for your business. Also, decide what type of business structure would be suitable for the business. It is possible that you could be thinking about how to start an organizing business from home.
If that’s the case you have to think accordingly. If you are still confused about how to start an organizing business, you can talk to a business consultant or coach who can guide you better about the business.
Bijay is an entrepreneur and start-up founder having more than 14 years of IT industry experience. He is the co-founder of TSInfo Technologies, a SharePoint development company.
A dedicated professional and very passionate about public speaking and also wrote thousands of technical blogs in various technologies. He also wrote a lots of blogs on entrepreneurship, investment, startup, business, manage money tips, etc.